[gilug] La FSF capta socis per finançar Replicant OS

Narcis Garcia informatica actiu net
2019-12-11 12:41:41 UTC

    Replicant needs your help to liberate Android in 2020
    <https://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/replicant-needs-your-help-to-liberate-android-in-2020>

/The Free Software Foundation (FSF) supports the work of several
important free software projects through fiscal sponsorship in a program
we call *Working Together for Free Software.*
<https://www.fsf.org/working-together/fiscal-sponsorship>/

/Donations to any of the *Working Together for Free Software* projects
directly benefit the work that can be done. Too often, these projects
are underfunded and developers are putting in a lot of personal time and
effort to keep the project moving forward. Because of the FSF fiscal
sponsorship, they can receive donations and apply for funding./

/Our annual fundraiser is happening right now
<https://www.fsf.org/appeal?pk_campaign=frfall2019&pk_source=project>.
If you're able to, please consider making a donation to Replicant
<https://my.fsf.org/civicrm/contribute/transact?reset=1&id=19> through
their dedicated sponsorship page. Every dollar you contribute helps this
inspiring project work towards a freer mobile future./

/Associate members are at the heart of our foundation and strengthen our
ability to help other free software projects like Replicant. Join today
<https://my.fsf.org/join?pk_campaign=frfall2019&pk_source=project> to
help us reach our goal of welcoming 600 new associate members before
December 31st. As a special bonus, all new and renewing annual associate
members ($120+) can choose to receive one of our exclusive year-end
gifts. If you get a minimum of three people to mention you as a
referral, you can get them too!/

/Below is an update from developer Denis "GNUtoo" Carikli, who is one of
three people on the "steering committee" of Replicant
<https://www.replicant.us/>: a fully free Android distribution running
on several devices. It is a free software mobile operating system
putting the emphasis on freedom, privacy, and security./

Mobile devices such as phones and tablets are becoming an increasingly
important part in our computing, hence they are particularly subject to
freedom and security concerns. These devices aren't simply "phones" or
"tablets." They are full computers with powerful hardware, running
complete operating systems that allow for updates, software changes, and
installable applications. This makes it feasible to run free software on
them. Thus, it is possible to choose a device that runs a free
bootloader and free mobile operating system -- Replicant -- as well as
fully free apps for the user. You can read more about privacy and
security on mobile phones and the solutions that Replicant offers, as
well as learn some valuable lessons on how better to protect your
freedom on mobile devices on the Replicant Web site
<https://www.replicant.us/freedom-privacy-security-issues.php>.

Replicant is currently steered by a team of three people: Fil Bergamo,
Joonas Kylmälä (Putti), and myself. At the beginning of this year, we
successfully applied for funding from a program from the European Union
called Next Generation Internet <https://www.ngi.eu/>. We also received
a sizeable donation from Handshake
<https://lists.osuosl.org/pipermail/replicant/2019-January/001774.html>,
which allowed us to make some significant investments.

The most notable changes we are working on are building a new version of
Replicant based on Android 9, which will enable a wider range of users
to use a fully free Android distribution for the first time. We are also
reducing maintenance costs to increase sustainability. The Replicant
project is now using the official linux kernel with very few patches,
and we contribute patches upstream as well. This means we send our work
back to the main developers of the kernel Linux so that everyone can
benefit. This allows us to create a virtuous circle that makes Replicant
benefit GNU/Linux and GNU/Linux development benefit from Replicant.
Working with upstream would not be possible without funding, as it
requires a lot more work than what we used to do with previous Replicant
versions.

Getting people more acquainted with the work we do helps us source new
contributors, as well as convince people to use Replicant. This year, we
managed to travel to a few important conferences, as well as organize
our own Replicant conference
<https://redmine.replicant.us/projects/replicant/wiki/ContributorsMeetingJuly2019>.
A full report of the conference is available, along with slides, videos,
and a summary of the discussions that took place. The conference allowed
us to bring together the people who care about Replicant and who
understand the importance of the work we do. Watching these
presentations can help any new Replicant developers to contribute to the
project, as they explain a lot about our architecture, our history, and
how to begin making a version of Replicant for newer devices and Android
versions.

Being awarded a large grant is a highly competitive process, which means
we cannot rely on that for continuous funding to pay for all of our
work, so we choose to spend money on tasks that have a long-term impact.
For instance, this could include completing the library that
communicates with the Samsung IPC modem protocol (libsamsung-ipc
<https://redmine.replicant.us/projects/replicant/wiki/Libsamsung-ipc>),
which would enable other Android distributions to use it and share the
changes they make with us. It could also help us to continue our work on
free WiFi firmware. These investments will ensure that developers can
continue to maintain Replicant even when larger donations are not available.

/Projects like Replicant rely on individual donations like yours to
continue their work independent of large donations and funding. They can
always use your help, whether that help is financial
<https://my.fsf.org/civicrm/contribute/transact?reset=1&id=19>, or
provided in time and effort. To further assist them, you can use
Replicant and become part of the project's community by using its forums
<https://redmine.replicant.us/projects/replicant/boards>, contributing
to its wiki <https://redmine.replicant.us/projects/replicant/wiki>, and
submitting any bugs
<https://redmine.replicant.us/projects/replicant/issues> you discover./

/
/

Un document HTML ha estat eliminat...

Més informació sobre la llista de correu gilug